Thursday, May 15, 2008

noypi-aussie stat

Mimie, once she knew he was Australian, immediately told me, in an as-a-matter-of-fact manner that 90 % of Filipinas who are with Australians are murdered by their partners. Who knows where she got this fact from or if there was any truth in it at all; she who disliked my Jewish ex boyfriend because it was the Jews who crucified Jesus Christ.(My mother is a devout Catholic and perhaps she felt the need to avenge the Savior’s death by depriving me of happiness.) I told her that 90% is quiet a high number, it would mean that in every 100 Filipinas only 10% would live and who knows in what condition they are surviving; in constant fear I would presume, what with the statistic menacingly hanging over their heads like a pall. One small domestic argument and the poor Filipina could be a part of the statistic.
The population of the Filipinas I imagine will eventually be in negative rate. The remaining others would be paired off with other nationalities for which my mother has some inauspicious statistics readily fabricated, and tailored according to her opinion. And why on earth does it only have to be Filipinas? Her statistic is exclusive only to the female of the bunch, not Filipinos. Sure Filipinas are small and appear to look fragile as compared to their Aussie would-be murderer, but believe you me, there are Australian women who could topple a strong Filipino man with just a single punch!
I have pondered about what my mother’s statistic really means, and I had told him about it. It had became a running joke between us, e.g. “So, is that how you are planning to make me unsolved case number X?” and, it would always send us reeling in laughter. Sitting now though, months after my mother’s now-infamous Filipina-Aussie Statistics, I am alive and well, but, I get the feeling that I am already halfway to my grave when he told me that he never was in love with me.

No comments: